Welcome to another inside peak to Sid’s World.
Lets hit it off with this weeks comic about how to lose a social life:
And now, here are some more awesomely interesting facts about LANGUAGE:
• The word “trivia” comes from the Latin “trivium” which is the place where three roads meet, a public square. People would gather and talk about all sorts of matters, most of which were trivial
• TYPEWRITER, is the longest word that can be made using the letters only one row of the keyboard
• “Speak of the Devil” is short for “Speak of the Devil and he shall come”. It was believed that if you spoke about the Devil it would attract his attention. That’s why when you’re talking about someone and they show up people say “Speak of the Devil”
• The word “Checkmate” in chess comes from the Persian phrase “Shah Mat,” which means, “the King is dead”
• The sentence “the quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog” uses every letter in the English language
• The only 15-letter word that can be spelled without repeating a letter is uncopyrightable.
• Canada is an Indian word meaning “Big Village”
• Stewardesses is the longest word typed with only the left hand
• The most common name in the world is Mohammed
• The longest non-medical word in the English language is FLOCCINAUCINIHILIPILIFICATION, which means “the act of estimating as worthless”.
• Mafia in Old Arabic means ‘sanctuary.’
• The longest word in the Old Testament is “Malhershalahashbaz.”
Hope you all enjoyed and we will be back again soon for more awesome stuff!
We hope you all enjoyed these facts and until next time we say enjoy everything 🙂
This blog is proudly brought to you by Sidra Baksh. Go check out our website for professional English, Spanish and Portuguese translation services!